Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sue and Shelly

I have a terrible history of losing close friends in the month of May. When I was 18 I had a close friend, Shelly Hansen, who was 28 with 2 kids, ages 2 and 5. She got Melanoma from a mole on her thigh and within a year it killed her and left her husband a widower with 2 boys. She was a red hair, freckled face, really fair skinned, pretty lady with a quick wit and a big heart. She died on May 4, 1994. 6 years ago I lost an even closer friend at the age of 39. Sue Crawford Christian owned Creative Hair Design and was married with one child, Samuel, who was 3 months older than Elijah. We married and had a baby at the same time (my first marriage). She was 33 when she had Samuel and I was 21 when I had Elijah. She and her husband (who I wasn't crazy about) moved to Alpharetta, GA and then to Grapevine, TX. When we were both single we would take her Porsche 911 to Cherokee Blvd. and jog through the park, ride bikes, etc.. She was an outdoor kind of gal with a huge appetite and a smoking body. Not fair! She was one of the kindest people I have ever known. She died from breast cancer on May 10, 2003 leaving behind a 5 year old boy. She never told me she had breast cancer until the week she died. A mutual friend called me and said that Sue told her to call and tell me she loved me and that she was sorry for not telling me sooner but it was too hard to say goodbye. I have also lost a little boy I was a nanny for from the time he was 6 weeks old until he turned 5. He died 3 years ago at the age of 18. So, I try to make May a happier month but still honor my friends. I'm sure their looking down and making fun of me as much as possible. My husbands birthday (41, ha!) is this month so I like to make it about him. But in honor of Sue, and Shelly I hope they know I stop and remember every year not so much the death but the life they had and the times we shared together.

No comments: